Thursday, June 28, 2012

Training June 18 - June 24

Monday, June 18: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Normal morning eight miler, once again nothing special…up and around the GEHC then out and back on the greenway.

PM Run – Gainesville State College – 11 miles – 10 sets of 30-60-90s. We have mini-camp this week so the middle of the week is going to be really hectic. I’m going to have to get up early just to get my morning runs in, so I decided to bump my workout up to Monday.

I ran two loops of the mountain bike trail with 10 sets of pickups. This workout went much better than last week. I was faster than last week and definitely felt much better. It was a good tune up for this week’s central park race, which features a similar course. 19 miles for the day, good way to start off the week.

Tuesday, June 19: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Normal morning eight miler. With mini-camp this week I am likely going to be limited to one run a day. I was up at 5:30 to do clips then out the door for an hour before heading to work for the first day of mini-camp. It was a long day out in the sun and on my feet, exhausted when I got home around 7, so only one run today.

Wednesday, June 20: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Normal morning eight miler. Same deal as yesterday.

Thursday, June 21: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Normal morning eight miler. Same story as Tuesday and Wednesday.

Friday, June 22: Central Park – 5 miles – Half-day Friday at work meant I had some extra time in the afternoon to drive over to Central Park and get a few miles in on the race course. I took some cool back roads and bridges to cross Lake Lanier to get to Central Park. I got two easy laps in to survey the course and get five in on the day. I had a little trouble finding where exactly we were going to start the race, so I just ran from the start/finish of last year’s race. This still allowed me to run the course and go to work on my race plan. This course has some really fast spots and a couple that are a little slow. I also think it’s longer than five. The most crucial part of the race is going to be midway through the second lap. This is where I will try and make moves because the final 800+ meters is in really tight, rooty trails.

Saturday, June 23: Dirty Spokes Central Park Trail Race – 10 miles – Ran 10 miles total. Warmed up with Mitch, won the race in 31:43 after taking it out pretty hard and distancing myself from the pack. I ended up winning going away, which all but assures that I will win the series for the second year in a row. All I have to do is finish the final race and make sure Mitch doesn’t beat me by more than 10 spots. It was smoking hot out. I was sweating from the get go, but luckily the humidity wasn’t too bad so I wasn’t soaked until I crossed the finish line, and dumping water on my head at the water station was a great idea. Mitch and I ran a short cool down then I spent the rest of the afternoon playing paintball at Nitro.

Sunday, June 24: Ft. Yargo State Park – 14 miles – After having a little bit of a down week due to mini-camp, I hit Ft. Yargo for two loops of the hiking trail. I didn’t make the decision to head out there until a little bit later in the morning (around 9) and that was a mistake. It was pretty hot, moving towards the 90s by the time I got going. I really should have gotten out there earlier, but I brought plenty of water and the hiking trail allows for a stop at my car and at two different camp grounds. It also follows right next to the lake for most of the way if I ever need to cool down quick in an emergency. Either way I got in a good long run and my legs actually felt a lot better than I would have expected. I started off super slow because of the heat, but only ended up running about three or four minutes slower than normal. Barberitos for a delicious burrito afterwards.

Weekly Totals: 72 miles on 8 runs – As I said, my miles were a little bit lower this week due to mini-camp but I was glad to get over 70 miles again. That makes five straight weeks above 70 mpw and I feel like that has really made a difference in both my racing and overall fitness. I feel fairly fit, which is much better than where I was at when I started out in January and even how I felt when I ran Mt. Tabor and the Sutallee trace. Next week should be another 70-80 week, with a hill workout in there. I am going to need to start getting some hills in to get ready for Sawnee Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment