Sunday, August 4, 2013

Training Log: Training Camp Week 1

Monday, July 22: Mall Roads Loop – 5 miles – I thought long and hard about taking today off.

Tuesday, July 23: Gravel Springs – 7 miles - This will probably be the last time I do this run for a while with training camp starting up on Thursday. It’s been a solid little loop for me during the spring and even though I got bored with it occasionally, I am sure I will miss it once I get back to running the Flowery Branch loops every day during the season.

Wednesday, July 24: Flowery Branch Roads – 7 miles – Today was most likely my last shot to run seven for a little bit. I’m only going to have about 30-35 minutes to run during camp for the next few weeks. On some of the off day’s I might be able to squeeze in an hour run or ride my bike to the office, but that remains to be seen. For now it’s back to the roads in the Branch and it’s back to maintenance miles for the foreseeable future. That’s a little depressing, but it’s also why I doubled up on the races last weekend.

Thursday, July 25: Flowery Branch Roads – 5 miles – Normal five mile route, out to McEver Road then down to Flowery Branch, past the post office and back up by the Wrigley plant to the facility. Took it fairly easy as my legs are starting to feel the last few days of standing up a lot.
Friday, July 26: Flowery Branch Roads – 5 miles – I want to be mindful of what I eat during training camp because it can get out of hand quickly, so I’m going to start trying to log it here to try and keep myself honest.

I woke up at 6 and had a chocolate honey stinger waffle with organic green tea (w/ honey) then hit the roads for five around Flowery Branch. This will probably be my standard run during training camp. Hopefully I can get few seven milers in and a bike ride or two, but the majority of my running will be five in the morning.

Pre run: Chocolate honey stinger waffle & tea
Post run: Bowl of smart start cereal w/ vanilla almond milk & a banana
Lunch: Roast Beef on multigrain bread w/ lettuce and some sweet baby ray’s (a little fat kid to start), carrots and a small bowl of black bean chili w/ quinoa (not chili weather but I wanted to try it).
Snack: Small cup of PB&J trail mix and a handful of gummy bears before practice.
Snack 2: Greek yogurt w/ granola after practice
Dinner: Small bowl of three cheese tortellini and some pirate booty

Wow. I feel like I eat a lot.

Saturday, July 27: Flowery Branch Roads – 5 miles – Back on the grind. Flowery Branch five. The good thing is I am still excited to run each day and I’m making sure I get out the door with enough time to get a run in. I’m trying to make sure I have time to run five as many days as possible during camp and it’s going well so far.
Pre run: Chocolate honey stinger waffle & tea
Post run: English muffin with maple almond butter and a small bowl of smart start w/ almond milk
Lunch: Turkey, spinach & cucumbers on multigrain w/ some carrots and a smoothie
Snack: Cheddar bunnies
Dinner: Chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas & broccoli and a greek yogurt

Sunday, July 28: Flowery Branch Roads – 5 miles – S.S.D.D. I did have to get myself going a little earlier because we had a lot going on this morning. Up at 6 and out the door before 6:30 to have time to run for 35 minutes. Got it in and generally felt better about my day than I would have otherwise.

Pre run: Vanilla honey stinger waffle & tea
Post run: Honey nut cheerios with vanilla almond milk & a small serving of scrabbled eats (I needed some protein)
Lunch: Tuna fish on multigrain with spinach, carrots, and greek yogurt. Mixed bag of bunnies
Snack: Cheddar bunnies
Dinner: Blackened chicken, red beans & rice, and green beans. Greek yogurt for dessert.

I think I’m doing okay with my training camp meals.

Weekly Total: 39 miles on seven runs – That’s a rather drastic drop in mileage, but the key thing is that I ran every day. During camp that’s my biggest goal, run as many days as possible. I may try to work in a bike ride on a couple of the players off days, but for the most part I just want to run as much as I can. It’s probably only going to be about 30 or 35 miles a week, but it is was it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment