Thursday, March 15, 2012

Training February 27 – March 4

Monday, March 5: Zero – Day off – My back was really, really bothering me today. When I woke up in the morning I contemplated not running, then as the day went on I thought about just trying to get in three or five, but after getting out of work late and nearly collapsing in pain from trying to walk up the slight hill to get the mail. I’m thinking I just strained or sprained something and it will hopefully go away in a day or two with some rest. Depending on how I feel tomorrow I may just try to get five in for the next couple of days until it subsides.
Tuesday, March 6: Ivy Creek Greenway + Sweet Gum Loop – 8 miles – My back was feeling a little bit better today but still a little bit tight. I hit the Sweet Gum Loop and then went out and back on the Greenway trail for eight. I’m looking forward to going back home to Massachusetts for a couple of days later this week. Hopefully I will get a couple good runs in up there.  

Wednesday, March 7: Ivy Creek Greenway + Sweet Gum Loop – 8 – miles – Flying home this afternoon, so I got out the door early for my standard eight mile run. This run is turning into my go to everyday run, which is nice because the seven mile version can get a little bit boring due to the fact that I start and end with the two loops of the same half mile trail.

Thursday, March 8: Middleton Reservoir trails – 7 miles – It took me a little while to actually get out for this run, but it was an absolutely beautiful day so I didn’t mind running a little later. The Rez (as it’s affectionately known) has always been one of my favorite places to run. The main trail is not a very long run but it’s a nice half loop around the town reservoir. It’s almost impossible to run this in July and August because of the horse flies but in the spring and fall is a great place to run. I started out at the house and ran along the old rail road tracks up to rt. 114, crossed 114 on to Lake Street then down onto the dirt road to the entrance to the main rez trail. I ran the out and back without veering off any of the main trails and met up with my buddy Chris, who was out hiking with his dog. I walked and chatted with Chris for a bit before heading back home the way I came.

Friday, March 9: Middleton Reservoir trails – 7 miles – After pleading with my young brother to run with me yesterday I got him to agree to run with me today. I told him we’d only go five but that we’d run without a watch so I was able to trick him into running seven. He didn’t really mind as I let him set the pace. He’s in better shape than he thinks but now that he’s a Marine he hasn’t really been running as many miles as he used to. He’s more of a gym rat now.  

Saturday, March 10: Middleton Reservoir trails – 7 miles – Woke up to a dusting of snow on the ground, no real accumulation as it wasn’t sticking to the roads. I ran the same exact run as yesterday but it was a little slower because of a few slick spots with the snow and much cooler temps. Most of the trail was clear by the time I made the turnaround at the Boston Street gate. After running, Amanda and I met up with Chris for a two-plus hour hike on some of the other trails later in the day.

Sunday, March 11: Middleton Reservoir trails – 7 miles –Same run as yesterday but it was still a little colder than am used to. Pretty much all of my runs this week have been “just getting the miles in” runs, which isn’t a big deal but I wish I would have gotten in a few more miles. After running and eating a great brunch Josh drove down from VT and we went for another two-plus hour hike with Amanda and Josh’s dogs (aka the girls).

Weekly Totals: 44 miles on six runs – This was my lowest week in five or six weeks, but that’s a result of the day off. Had I not taken Monday off I would have gotten around 52 miles for the week and that’s without a long run. I really should have tried to get something long in while I was home with another race coming up on Saturday, but it just didn’t happen. Next week I am looking to get back above 50 and hopefully run well at Running the Rocks on Saturday. We’ll see happens. After the race I really want to start to work on getting my miles up over 60 and into the 70’s. I’m still a little bit nervous about my back as it has bothered me all week long. I need to work on stretching it out and maybe look into getting a massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment