Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Training February 27 – March 4

Monday, February 27: Hog Mountain Trail – 5 miles – Got out for an easy five at work during lunch. I’m heading to the Atlanta Sports Awards tonight so I decided to get in a shorter run rather than take a zero for the day. I’m not a huge fan of this run as the trail is only about a mile and a half long and other than that there aren’t any great places to run right around the office, but I added on enough to call it five. My hamstring and foot are starting to feel a lot better. I need to make sure I take more time to stretch after runs though.
 
 
Tuesday, February 28: Ivy Creek Greenway – 8 miles – Started out with a loop up by the GEHC on the Creekside trail, down the Sweet Gum trail and then out and back on the greenway. I took it easy again today as my hamstring is still a little tight at times from the race on Saturday. It absolutely poured for about five minutes on the way back to the house. Not fun getting completely soaked but at least it didn’t last long. Hopefully I can avoid the storms we’re supposed to get over the next few days.

Wednesday, February 29: Ivy Creek Greenway – 8 miles – Pretty much the same run as yesterday. Nothing too exciting, still wet out but at least it’s warm. I didn’t get started until almost 6:00 pm so pretty much the entire last 20 minutes of the run where in the dark. I actually had to jump up to the mall road for a little bit because the trail was pitch black.

Thursday, March 1: Ivy Creek Greenway – 6 miles – I got out of work late and Amanda and I go to trivia on Thursday nights, so I didn’t have a lot of time to get this run in. I started out with two loops on the homesite trail and then ran out and back on the greenway to get six. I’m not really happy with the two shorter days I’ve had this week but if I can get in eight tomorrow it will average out to seven per day during the week, which is what I was hoping to get in this week.

Friday, March 2: Ivy Creek Greenway – 8 miles – Got in 8 today, added a mile to the run to supplement the fact that I only ran six yesterday. Thankfully, I got it in before the heavy rain storms moved in. We actually had tornado warnings for a couple of hours when it got really rough, but luckily no damage.

Saturday, March 3: Ivy Creek Greenway – 8 miles – I had to hang around the apartment to be on call for work so I settled for a run on the GEHC and greenway trails. It was a little muddy from the rain but other than that not too bad. Probably a good thing I stayed around the house as most of the local mountain bike trails were closed from the storms.

Sunday, March 4: Ft. Yargo State Park – 13 miles – Normally when I run at Yargo, I get up eat something quick, (English muffin or something) and head out. Today Amanda made a big breakfast with French toast and bacon, so I had to hang out for a bit and digest before I ran. I definitely didn’t drink enough water before this run and it became a death march for the final four miles. The slight blister on my big to was incredibly annoying and I think I took a bad step or two because when I sat down to stretch I really struggled to get back up because of lower back pain. I’ll have to keep an eye on this. Other than that it was a nice easy long run. Even though I started late I didn’t see anyone for the first couple of miles, but by the time I got half way through I saw a bunch of bikers…I guess I don’t have to feel bad about running on the trail after some rain.

Weekly Totals: 56 miles on seven runs – Good recovery week after last week’s race. I’m happy that I managed to keep my mileage above 50 despite a five mile and six mile day. I’ve got three weeks at 55ish under my belt now and I’m starting to feel like I’m getting a decent base of fitness. Due to the fact that Amanda and I are going home for a few days next week I’m not planning on increasing my mileage. I’m hoping to stay right around 55 and then the next week I will start to increase my mileage with some longer runs during the week. I’ll probably start going up to Gainesville state after work and working in some morning or lunch time runs as well. I know I’m not going to run 100-mile weeks, but I’d love to run in the 70-80 mpw range with some consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment