Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Trestle Run // Set Backs & Silver Linings

Of course, I would get hurt right after finishing writing about how I wasn't going to allow myself to settle into a holding pattern. Every year I end up in a bit of a rut, just waiting for for the two or three free weekends that I get during the fall. I said I wasn't going to do it and then bang. My hamstring grabbed me mid-800 in the middle of a track workout.

I tried to jog it out a little bit, but that was no use. Each step was more painful than the one before it, so I pulled the plug on the workout. I've been very fortunate to avoid injury for a long time. Other than a tweaked calf a few years ago, I've been relatively healthy as of late. I've overdone it a couple of times and had some fatigue issues, but I've been able to avoid any real injuries. The way my hamstring felt that day though, man did I have some real concerns.

The first thing I did was stop running. Then I got in the ice bath, put on my compression tights and elevated my leg while hanging out at home. The tried and true R.I.C.E. method. When I woke up the next day, things were not much better. I was mentally starting to spiral into the rut that I had been hoping to avoid. With a work trip to Philadelphia coming up, I was excited about the run I had planned. One of my favorite runs when I lived up there was the Kelly Drive loop. Based on where we were staying, I planned a 10-12 mile version of the loop with options to add on if I was feeling good.

Unfortunately, as I prepared to leave for the trip I was also coming to the realization that there was no way I was going to be able to run. Despite packing my running gear in my brand new all-day duffel from Territory Run Co., I knew no run was happening. My hamstring was incredibly tight. It felt like the muscle fibers were wound tight and taut under the same tension as steel cable. I could barely walk without a limp.

Of course, two hours crammed in a plane seat didn't exactly help things, but I was able to walk around a little bit after dinner once we arrived in Philly. In an effort to make the best of the situation I decided to jump on a bike share bike and see how much of my pre-planned loop I could manage. That ended up being a good call because I rode around for nearly two hours and my leg felt fine. I did the whole loop I had planned and then added on some. It was probably for the best that day because it was blazing hot.

Unfortunately, when I got back to Atlanta things didn't improve much. I took the next few days off from running but kept riding to try and save some fitness. By the next Monday, I figured I would give running a go. That was a fail. I made it a mile before turning around and calling it due to tightness. More biking, icing, compression and light stretching followed.

Three, going on four, weeks with no running and my hamstring still doesn't feel right. I tried running twice after my initial two-mile hobble and although I've made it through the runs okay the aftermath has been no bueno. Both times my hamstring loosened up during the run, but the rest of the day I could feel it in everything I did. After that, I decided to stick to my dad's advice and hold off on trying to run until it was totally gone.

Fortunately, I've been able to ride most days. That's kept me somewhat sane. In a cruel twist of fate the new bike that I ordered at the end of August, a bike that I spent the better part of two years saving for, has been delayed. I'm limited to just riding and I can't even ride the awesome new bike that I bought. What a kick in the tights.

It's been difficult to find a silver lining in this injury situation. I realize that I'm fortunate to have gone as long as I did without suffering any injuries. And I know this really isn't a dire situation, but that doesn't mean that it's not a bummer. I've had to miss Dirty Spokes and XTERRA races and even though I've gone to them and helped out and hung around it was still tough to not be out there running.

My consistency and routine are big parts of what keeps me motivated and energized for everything. Whether it's work related, or related to this blog, or hell just stress relieving daydream time, I relish in my time out running. I'm glad that I've been able to throw my headlamp on my bike helmet and get out the door most mornings, but the out and back is starting to get a little tedious.

Okay, that's enough complaining. I'm doing my best to try and stay positive but it's been a challenge. I'm trying to stay positive, so I've decided to start focusing on the next steps. No running for four weeks. No attempt to run after three. I'm not trying to run a step until it's been four weeks. When I get to that point, I'll test it out and see how it responds. In the meantime I'll keep biking and I'll also work in a couple of days of rest. I'm doing some light stretching and trying to work on it with the foam roller after riding.

At this point, it is what it is. I hate that, but whatever. In the long run, it will probably be a good thing. I have a tendency to just keep grinding away and never take any real rest, which leads to cumulative fatigue. I get to the late spring and when I feel like I should be sharp, I end up flat. All because I took three days off instead of taking some real actual rest. I'm trying to treat this as the silver lining. Four weeks of no running in my legs. Hopefully a new bike soon. If I listen to the universe and take it as a sign, it should set me up well for 2019. I still have a few races left in 2018, but the expectations for those have changed.

This forced time off has kind of flipped the calendar on me and that might not be a bad thing.

What I'm Reading/Listening To/Liking
Extreme Athleticism is the New Mid-Life Crisis // Paul Flannery // Medium
There’s a moment in 100-mile races that ultrarunners call “the dark place.” It’s usually late in the race when everything goes to hell and you experience the greatest pain you will ever feel. When you arrive there, there’s nothing left to do but, “embrace the suck.”
I've been wading into the world of Medium a little bit lately. I got a little bit too down the rabbit hole on YouTube for a while there. Nothing against YouTube, I've found some really interesting and inspiring stuff on there, but it's a quick way to burn an hour without realizing it. A decent bit of the writing on Medium makes me feel like I might be dumb (side note: That's because I am.) but there are some really intriguing reads.

For example, I recently came across this piece about extreme athleticism being the new mid-life crisis. I'm not quite at that point yet, but yeah I can see that.

Beat Monday // Outside TV
Speaking of YouTube, one of the coolest new video series I have found lately is Beat Monday from Outside TV. It's a 15 minute-or-so show about two guys that take from 5pm on Friday to 9am on Monday to get in epic adventures. There are three episodes on Outside's YouTube page and they range from Mt. Hood in Oregon to the Presi Traverse in New Hampshire.



This show is kind of like a mini Boundless since they are attempting monster endurance challenges, but the condensed, 15-minute format makes it a little more digestible. It doesn't quite capture the highs and lows the same way, but it's still super inspirational and has me thinking about ways that I can find my own Beat Monday adventures.

IG Inspirations



Josh Ferenc killing it at the Mt. Bachelor Under Armour 50k last month.


Cider donut season is my favorite season.


This photo has me very excited for our upcoming trip up to the Smoky Mountains. Hopefully, my hammy will be healed up by then and I can venture up Mt. Leconte.

No comments:

Post a Comment