Monday, April 13, 2015

Quote of The Day

I will skimming through NFL writer Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback article on the MMQB.com this morning and came across this cool note, or nugget as he would say. He ran a trail race in San Francisco and had a few nice things to say about the sport.

Mr. Starwood Preferred Member Travel Note of the Week
On Saturday morning north of San Francisco, I ran a 10K trail run, the Wild Boar 10K on Mount Tamalpais, in 75 minutes and 1 second. At one point maybe four miles into the run, a little wisp of girl, maybe 10 years old, passed me on a narrow trail on the edge of a steep hill.
Not my finest competitive sporting moment.
But it was my finest day ever running out in the world.
Imagine starting a run on a road in a lovely state park 40 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, cresting .85 miles into it with a clear view of the Pacific Ocean on a pristine morning, gawking at the Pacific for seven or eight minutes while the undulating pavement takes you up and down, then veering off to the left on a thin ribbon of a rocky trail on the side of Mount Tamalpais, at times so steep with such a sheer drop that you say to yourself, DO NOT LOOK DOWN! WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT LOOK DOWN! And after you do that, up and down and never flat, for 15 minutes, you duck into a forest so dusky that it feels like 9 p.m. and not 9 a.m., and the temperature drops 15 degrees in a minute, and you’re not running on a rocky path anymore. Now it’s on pine needles and cones on a path underneath and through 300-year-old trees, such a soft trail that it feels like you’re running on a padded tartan track. Then, for the last mile, the grade is so steep that you have to walk most of it (my daughter Laura, a San Franciscan, didn’t; she’s incredibly fit and used to running on trails) and even thinking of making any good time seems just preposterous.
Yes. I think I’d like to do it again. Soon.
I know that King is a bit of a runner. He may have run Boston in the past, but I couldn't confirm that in the three minutes I looked on Google. Regardless, I thought it was cool to see a small note about trail running in this major NFL column. It's not often that the two worlds collide, so that was cool to see. I'm glad he enjoyed his first foray into trail running. Do you think he's on Strava?

No comments:

Post a Comment