Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Training Log - February 4 - February 10

Monday, February 4: Flowery Branch Roads – 7 miles – I headed to work early to hit the Flowery Branch road loop from the office. Not a great run, my legs were still tired from the weekend and I just wasn’t into it at all. I might have over done it a little bit yesterday with the 11 mile run then about 9 on the bike. Even though I was riding easy I think it took a little more out of me than I thought. I could still feel the Saturday’s race in my legs too. I think I’ll start working in afternoon runs next week if I can get things dialed back in this week.
 
Tuesday, February 5: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Decided to just run from home for the rest of the offseason for my morning runs. It’s just easier this time of year. I got out at about 6:45 am so I needed my headlamp for the first 15 or 20 minutes then it was fine once the sun started to come up. I ran around the GEHC, adding in the road hill and creekside spur trail section that I found a couple weeks ago, then ran out and back on the greenway before adding an extra .2 to make sure I got a full eight miles.
 
Wednesday, February 6: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – I tried something a little bit different this morning, running the out and back greenway section of the run first and then tacking on the GEHC loop after. It didn’t make much of a difference in terms of time. The out and back part is always faster than the loop. The loop is a lot hillier and it’s just slow going in general. I had to remember that I ran a 5k on parts of this loop in 18 something and won. This is the down side to wearing my GPS watch. Sometimes I forget that the terrain dictates the pace. That said, I still need to get to a point where my training runs are faster.
 
Thursday, February 7: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Ho-hum 8 miler. Same run, different day.
 
Friday, February 8: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Felt like crap all day, so I ran after work. Didn’t matter much. I felt like crap and this was a complete death march. At the end of the day I was just glad to get something in. I am definitely coming down with another slight cold. It’s nothing too serious but enough to make me feel like I don’t have anything in my legs.
 
Saturday, February 9: Suwanee Roads – 14 miles – I need to come up with a name for this run. With the greenway and GEHC right behind my apartment and living so close to the mall I haven’t ventured out on the roads in my area very often, but needing to get something longer in and not wanting to do a bunch of loops of shorter trails I decided to make my way over to Suwanee and hit that greenway with the new route I found last week.
 
I started by running up past the GEHC and onto Woodward Mill Rd. From there I ran past the woodward mill farms then turned up onto Old Suwanee road and ran through the Morning View neighborhoods, up, over and down to the elementary school to hop on the greenway. I ran down the greenway to Martin Farm then turned right onto the Martin Farm road to run to Suwanee Town Center. They really should rename Martin Farm Road to Martin Farm hill, it was a brutal climb, not all that long but it was pretty steep and I wasn’t expecting it. I ran along the train tracks and back through Town Center park, stopped at Big Peach for some water and to chat with some people that were running around the park then ran back down to the greenway and retraced my route back to the apartment.
 
Overall it was a good run and I was happy to be able to, one find a decent road run from my apartment (even if it was out and back), and two, find a way to linkup both the Ivy Creek Greenway behind my apartment and the Suwanee Greenway in a fairly direct way. That means that I can get close to an 18 miler out of this run if I follow the greenway all the way to its end. It would be 9 miles out and 9 miles back but there wouldn’t be much traffic at all and eight miles of it would be on the greenway.
 
Sunday, February 10:
AM - GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Another slog on this route. The first part of it is slow. There is no doubt about that. I think running with the Garmin has made me a little too cognizant of how fast or slow, I’m running (obviously because it displays pace), but I’ve had to remember that some of the trails I run on are going to be slower. When I ran at Ft. Yargo each of the last two springs and summers I’ve gone into each run knowing that it’s going be 8 minute pace, the effort might be faster but the way the trail is, on a normal run it’s going to be 8 minute pace. I just need to accept that on these GEHC trail runs. The second half is flat and I should be running it under 7 unless I’m really running easy.
 
PM – Harbins Park MTB Ride with Amanda – 4 miles – Since it warmed up in the afternoon, Amanda and I drove over to Harbins to check out the mountain bike trails. We stuck to MB1, which is a short beginner loop. Amanda enjoyed it because there wasn’t a lot of up and down or roots/rocks. It was a fun flowy ride through the trees, Forest Moon of Endor style. Here is the Strava info for the ride…
 
 
Weekly Totals: 61 miles on seven runs – Back to back weeks of 61 miles is positive, but my hopes of getting a workout in didn’t materialize. I have to start working in a second run either at lunch or after work to get my miles up. The upcoming XTERRA half marathon could be brutal otherwise. Hopefully next week I can work on getting my miles up and get in some kind of workout. I’d also like to make sure I get out to Ft. Yargo to get a run on the half marathon course before the race. The big positive of the week was finding a route that incorporated the Suwanee Greenway without just being a straight up out and back run. Even though about 11 miles of the run ended up being the same (out and back), it’s still a pretty good run with only one section that I generally dread.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment