Monday, May 28, 2012

Training May 14 - 20

Monday, May 14: GEHC Trails – 3 miles – I had to get over to the River Club for Coach’s golf tournament early this morning so I didn’t have much time to get a run in. I was going to take the day off, but ended up heading out for a quick three mile loop around the Environmental center. I was way too tired by the end of the day to get out for a second run. I did win a Nike Everclear putter though, so that was pretty sweet.
Tuesday, May 15: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Normal morning run, up and around the GEHC then out and back on the greenway trail before work. I wanted to get out for another 3 or 5 in the afternoon but I got stuck at work a little late and Amanda wanted to go to trivia so I scrapped the second run in favor of dinner.

Wednesday, May 16: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – Today looked like it was going to be a good day to get in a workout in the afternoon, but knowing how the week was going early on I opted to run eight in the morning to make sure I got at least that much in. Turns out that was a wise decision. At the last minute I had to change gears and head down to Buckhead for our State of the Franchise event with some of our season ticket holders and our front office. By the time I got home I was starving and it was almost 9, so no second run let alone a workout. I’ll pay for that on Saturday.

Thursday, May 17: GEHC Trails – 8 miles – SSDD…same shit, different day. Ran the normal route again but at least the pace has been better this week so I feel like these are quality runs.

PM Run – GEHC Trails – 2 miles – Thunderstorms rolling in shortened this run to two miles. Better than nothing.

Friday, May 18: GEHC Trails – 5 miles – Out and back on the Sweetgum/Cherokee/Creekside trails. I got thrown for another loop today. Our GM did bike to work day and rode from Buckhead to Flowery Branch (40ish miles) so I was up at 5am to do clips then in the car to head down for the departure at 6. No morning run. By the time I got out of work I figured the best thing to do was just run five and call it a day with the race tomorrow.

Saturday, May 19: Dirty Spokes Mt. Tabor Trail Race – 12 miles (8 mile race + 3 wu & 2 cd) – I was not into this race at all…mentally or physically. I didn’t feel like my body was ready to run at all and mentally I’ve been out of it for over a week with all the stuff I’ve had going on a work. I’d been on my feet a lot and my mileage dropped again, so going into it I had a feeling it was going to be ugly. In the back of my head I hoped and figured that I’d snap out of it once we got going, but I really just wanted to get through it. I warmed up with Mitch and my legs felt awful. When we got to the line I talked to Jesse Rappole and Nathan Haskins for a quick second (both said they weren’t feel fast today) then we hit the trail. I tried to say close to the two of them but my legs wouldn’t cooperate. I ended up settling into survival mode and just ran the course. I ended up third in 54:15, which in part is a result of the technical difficulty of the course (it was tough) and part because I ran crappy. Last year I ran 52:0X here and a month ago I ran 55:08 for nine miles (yeah oosh).

After the race, Amanda and I drove over to Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield and hiked up to the top of Kennesaw Mountain. We tagged a summit, even if it’s only like a mile hike to the top and it’s only like 1,000 foot summit, still counts.

Sunday, May 20: Gainesville State College – 11 miles – I needed a day to just relax so I took the short drive up to GSC on Sunday morning for two loops of the race course. I ran this really slow, but it was good to get back to running for an hour and a half on Sunday. My legs were still pretty trashed from the race yesterday and I definitely need to make stretching more of a focus and priority post run. I’m kicking around the idea of running in the Mountain Goat 10 miler in Caton next weekend.

Weekly Totals: 57 miles on 8 runs with one ugly race – This was a an okay week given how crazy it was work-wise. I think I would have hit 65 or 70 if it weren’t for a couple of early mornings and late nights. Hopefully I can get back on track and be around the 65-70 mpw mark over the next few weeks. I think that is going to be the best spot for me mileage-wise as I round out the summer before training camp starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment