Monday, February 13, 2012

Training February 6 – February 12

Monday, February 6: Ivy Creek Greenway – five miles – Nothing special about this run. Just got out the door for five…I need to start turning these five mile days into seven mile days to get my mileage up. This has pretty much been an identical Monday run for about three weeks now.

Tuesday, February 7: Ivy Creek Greenway – seven miles – Same as yesterday. Just hit the greenway trail for a nice and easy seven. Like I’ve said, its these runs were I’m going to be able to add some mileage, stretching them from five to seven will help and then, like I did last year, once the sun starts setting a little later I will be able to run over at Chicopee and Gainesville State to increase the daily run to 10-12 miles and really get cranking.

Wednesday, February 8: George Pierce Park – nine miles – Workout Wednesday…I hit the parks paved multi-purpose trail for six sets of 30-60-90s. It didn’t feel like it went as well as the workout last week, I could really feel the hills more this week. Since I felt like I was slacking on some of the pickups I added a sixth set. This is a good workout and it’s more than I was doing last year so it’s a step in the right direction. I think I might try to head to one of the tracks around here next week and do some 800s or mile repeats. With the half marathon coming up I could use some longer stuff.

Thursday, February 9: Ivy Creek Greenway – seven miles – I wanted to get up and get a short shake out in but that didn’t happen so I had to squeeze in seven before trivia. Nothing special…standard seven, two loops of homesite (1 mile total), out and back on the greenway and finished with two more loops of homesite.

Friday, February 10: Ivy Creek Greenway – seven miles – The weather has been really good, nice and mild. I explored the mill creek nature center trails, which are connected to the greenway for a few minutes. They were neat but not very long, maybe a half mile all total. I think I might duck onto these trails every now and again on my normal seven mile runs to mix it up a little bit.

Saturday, February 11: Harbins Park – 10 miles – It got cold, not quite New England cold, but after a 70 degree day last Sunday 25-30 feels pretty cold. I wanted to get a longer run in (at this point by longer I mean over an hour). I did two loops of the hiking trail to get in 10. I really like running in Harbins and I’m looking forward to running on the mountain bike trail, which is a completely separate seven miles of trail, later in the spring. This would be a great place to get 12+ in with the combo of biking and hiking trails. There is also a seven mile equestrian trail but I’m not a huge fan of running on horse trails unless I know they are free of horses. I used to run on them back in PA and even when you yield to the riders I find that people get pretty pissed about someone running on “their” trails.  

Sunday, February 12: Sweet Gum Trail – eight miles – The last two days have been the coldest of the year…mid-twenties to low thirties and even dipping into the teens with the win. Not really a whole lot of run, but at least I still have dry ground to run on. I was talking to Ferenc the other day and he was extremely jealous of the fact that I’m running two trail races in February.

Weekly Total: 52 miles on seven runs – Another solid week of training. I’m still well ahead of where I was at this point last year so I am pretty excited about that. I’m looking to stay between 50-60 miles per week for the next couple of weeks but I will probably start working in a longer run on the weekends 12-14 miles. This coming week I want to get another Wednesday workout in and then hit Ft. Yargo to run the half marathon course to get ready for the race on the 25th. It’s pretty similar to the mountain bike trail with one major difference (mainly no monster mile), but I want to get a feel for it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment