Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Training - January 9 - 15

Monday, January 9 – Off – Depressed after Sunday’s game and got home late. I set my alarm early but shut it off and ended up sleeping late. Oh well.

Tuesday, January 10 – AM – 3 miles – Ivy Creek Greenway - Headed out around 6:45 into a wicked fog. I couldn’t see anything. It was so foggy that when I turned my headlamp on it was a complete white out, but with it off it was pitch black. I ran across the bridge behind my apartment to the start of the Sweet Gum trail but there was no way I could have run out there until the sun came up, just too dark without a light and too foggy with it. I almost bagged the run but I decided to try the Greenway trail going in the other direction. This workout well because of the light thrown by the street lights and store lights by the mall. It was light enough to run without the lamp. I headed to the first over pass, which is about a mile and a half from the house. It’s a flat run but it was good to keep my legs moving after nearly bagging the run.

PM – 3 miles – Sweet Gum Loop – I got out of work while it was still light out, so I hit the Sweet Gum trail for a couple miles to make up for taking Monday off. Nothing special about the run, I’m just trying to keep getting out to run.



Wednesday, January 11 – Sweet Gum Loop – 3 miles – This was an uneventful run. I had a draining day at work, so I was kind of just going through the motions. I’m glad I was able to avoid a zero and my legs didn’t feel to bad, but having to drive to the office then down to the city and back to the office plus everything we had going on was mentally draining.

Thursday, January 12 – AM – Sweet Gum Loop – 3 miles – Despite a long day yesterday I got myself out of bed and got a quick three miles in. Again, nothing special on this run, typical a.m. headlamp run. The temperature has warmed up into the 50s, which has been nice.

PM Run – 3 miles – Sweet Gum loop – Ran the loop in reverse. It starts out with half of the homesite loop trail up to the GEHC and onto the creekside trail, about 200 yards on the paved Cherokee trail then into the GEHC and finishes with the Sweet Gum trail. Nice to mix it up a little bit.

Friday, January 13 – 6 miles – Harbins Park – Drove over to Harbins Park to run the hiking trail. This run is about 6 miles from the car to the car and most of it is on really nice double track trail. I’ve only run the loop twice after Amanda and I hiked it one day in the fall. The park also has a mountain bike trail that is something like 10 or 12 miles. I am looking forward to checking out once I am in better shape. The park also hosts one of the Xterra Georgia races, hopefully I’ll be able to run it next year.

Saturday, January 14 – 5 miles - Sweet Gum Out & Back – After running six miles yesterday I decided to be a big boy and run five today. I broke out the iPod nano watchband that Amanda got me for Christmas and hit the trail. I used the Nike+ on the nano for the first time and while it worked well as a stopwatch I’m pretty sure most of the other information was incorrect. I ran an out and back run and at the half-way point it said I’d run 2.7 miles, which I thought was a little longer that it really is. After turning around and heading back it told me my total workout was 3.99 miles, and I had run 8 something pace. I’m not sure how an out and back is 2.7 one way and 1.2 miles on the way back and at one point it said I was running 5:37 pace.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that this run is a little shy of five and with that in mind I usually add on at little at the end (three or four minutes) to be safe. I also wasn’t expecting the Nike+ in the iPod to be 100 percent accurate, but I was still surprised at how off it was. It is a little bit of a hilly run, nothing crazy but it’s up and down for a lot of the run and I’m thinking that might be why it was off. I don’t know, I’m no scientist.

Sunday, January 15 – 5 miles – Sweet Gum Out & Back – Same deal as yesterday. Nothing too special just trying to continue to get miles in.

Weekly Total – 31 miles on eight runs. This was a good wee for me, especially the last couple of days. My goal for next week is to up my daily run to five miles. I’ve strung a couple good weeks of running almost every day together and now it’s time to start adding a little more volume. I am aiming for 35+ miles this week and then will go from there. Depending on how the week goes I might jump in a 5k road race on Saturday, but that will probably be a game-time decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment